What is Ferulic Acid?
Ferulic Acid is an antioxidant compound that’s naturally found in the cell wall of plants. It is extensively used in skincare due to the many benefits it has for the skin.
Benefits of Ferulic Acid
- It is a potent antioxidant.
- According to studies, Ferulic Acid boosts the efficacy and stability of other antioxidants like Vitamin C and E.
- It provides protection against damage caused by free radicals due to which it may have anti-aging effects.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties.
- It helps tackle hyperpigmentation and dark spots.
- It may help minimize fine lines and other forms of photodamage.
What is Vitamin C?
Vitamin C or Ascorbic Acid is an essential nutrient that is naturally found in some citrus fruits, green vegetables and synthesized by most animal species. The human body does not synthesize Vitamin C, hence its consumption is essential through diet. When applied topically, Vitamin C has many benefits such as photoprotection, fading of hyperpigmentation, brightening, etc. on the skin, which makes it a popular skincare ingredient.
Benefits of Vitamin C
- It is effective against hyperpigmentation.
- It is a powerful antioxidant.
- It has a brightening effect on the skin.
- It may help soothe a sunburn.
- It promotes the synthesis of collagen.
- It has an anti-inflammatory action which may make it effective against acne.
- It provides protection against sun damage
Benefits of using Ferulic Acid and Vitamin C together
Ferulic Acid and Vitamin C when combined together, create a dynamic duo. Vitamin C is infamous for being unstable. It reacts with other ingredients as well as with air and sunlight and loses its potency. This is where Ferulic Acid swoops in as the savior, not only does it help stabilize Vitamin C, it also enhances its action to provide a much better result.
How to use Ferulic Acid and Vitamin C together?
The best way to use Vitamin C and Ferulic Acid together is by using a formulation such as the Deconstruct Vitamin C serum with 10% Vitamin C + 0.5% Ferulic Acid, which combines both ingredients. It won’t be a difficult task as this combination is a favorite amongst skincare brands. All Vitamin C serums consist of a stabilizing ingredient, which most likely is Ferulic Acid. You can use this combination every day, both in the morning and at night. It’s especially beneficial to use Vitamin C and Ferulic Acid in the morning, as it protects against damage caused by the sun. All skin types can safely enjoy the benefits of using this combination.
Side effects of using Ferulic Acid and Vitamin C Serum
Although the combination of Ferulic Acid and Vitamin C is fairly stable and can safely be used by most skin types. Each of these ingredients may not be suitable for some people and may cause side effects. Possible side effects include-
- Tingling or Burning sensation upon application
Also, while using Ferulic Acid in your routine, it’s essential to determine the source from which it’s been derived. Ferulic Acid has the potential to cause irritation if you’re allergic to its source. For example, it’s possible that those with a bran allergy may also be allergic to the Ferulic Acid derived from it. Always make sure to do a patch test before including any new ingredient in your skincare routine.
Ferulic Acid makes the perfect companion for Vitamin C due to its capability to stabilize and improve a formulation containing both these ingredients. Using a Vitamin C and Ferulic Acid serum combines the benefits of these two potent antioxidants and delivers a better result.
- Can Vitamin C and Ferulic Acid be used every day?
Yes absolutely! This antioxidant combination can protect your skin from environmental damage while treating skin concerns like dullness, pigmentation, dark spots, and fine lines.
- How long does it take to see results after using Vitamin C and Ferulic Acid?
It may vary from person to person but after you begin to use Vitamin C and Ferulic Acid in your skincare routine, you can expect to see results within four to six weeks.
- Can Vitamin C and Ferulic Acid be used under the eyes?
The skin around the eyes is much more delicate and sensitive in comparison to the rest of the face, hence you need to be extra careful with the ingredients you apply here. Vitamin C and Ferulic Acid can provide brightening and may even help diminish signs of aging when applied to the under-eye area, but it may not be for everyone. While this combination can be applied to the under eyes, and may even benefit some, for others it may cause stinging and a burning sensation. Try patch testing first and look for eye creams formulated gently with this combination.