Organizations operate in a world that is riddled with uncertainty and risk from multiple quarters. In such an environment, protecting the information that lies with you is a monumental challenge. While regular Cisco Training is an effective protection against security risks, the present challenges dictate that security is no longer the exclusive domain of security experts or the IT team of the company. Each individual employee is responsible for ensuring that the data they control is protected at all times. In this article, we talk about some of the new technologies that Cisco is introducing to help organizations emerge from the security challenges of the current era and how these can help them.
Types of Risks
Before we talk about the different tools that Cisco is offering to enhance the security management of its clients, it is necessary to understand the types of risks that companies face. According to Cisco Training experts, companies face different types of risks and attacks nowadays.
- Foremost among these are the APT or advanced persistent threat attacks that a group of hackers launches against a website or network. Once they have successfully infected the system, it is difficult to trace their origin.
- Denial of Service attacks floods the system with data until the system breaks down and becomes incapable of processing genuine requests.
- Malware attacks are typically carried out by infecting the operating system of your devices.
- In phishing, the attacker sends an infected email which looks exactly like a genuine email from a bank or similar organization. The victim is deceived into sharing confidential information which is then used against them.
Foundations Of Cisco Security Solutions
All the security solutions that Cisco develops are based on certain fundamental principles which ensure that no matter which solution you implement in your organization, your data will be protected at all costs. All of these solutions are covered in the latest Cisco Security Certifications. However, some due diligence needs to be carried out on your part:
- Place all switches and routers in a secure place, preferably an access controlled area.
- Any ports that are not in use need to be disabled. Moreover, access to active ports should also be controlled.
- Ports should also be password protected, which should be updated regularly.
- The local login command should be used to provide access to individuals with access rights to a particular port or device.
- Encryption should be part of your policies and employees should be encouraged to always use encrypted passwords on all their devices, even personal devices that store company data.
- Even banners need to be configured so that they inform the user that access rights are required in order to proceed further.
What Does Cisco Offer?
Traditionally, security solutions have paid more attention to policymaking and access restrictions. These have been moderately successful in preventing typical cyber attacks against the company’s servers and networks. Modern Cisco security solutions offer greater visibility to the client as the Cisco training enables them to track the user behavior, mobile activity, app performance, and virtual devices to identify threats and vulnerabilities more effectively.
This is one of the best solutions for delivering access control to the client so that unauthorized access to the network can be detected and prevented easily. It helps companies to control not only which employees have access to the network, but also which devices and applications they can access. It helps to mitigate all security threats by offering higher visibility. The risk of malware spreading across the networks is reduced significantly, and traffic control is managed by device, instead of IP address. TrustSec is compatible with the Cisco infrastructure and other networking devices.
Application Centric Infrastructure
Cisco’s ACI framework is intended to simplify the process of deploying security policies and mechanisms in traditional as well as virtual networks. The focus of this system is on shaping access policies throughout the available network. It also includes a number of firewall technologies that can be embedded into the ACI framework and managed from a single location. ACI is also integrated with the Security Appliance, which is another tool that can help with balancing loads across different segments of the network. The tools that are required to manage these systems are accessible and easy to learn. Both of these systems together help the organization to improve its security and load management functions.
This is another useful and effective security tool from Cisco which helps to increase security performance for mobile devices. The focus of this technology is on VPNs since many organizations are moving towards VPN servers and devices to spread out the costs of owning and managing a network. Not only does the AnyConnect tool offer VPN accessibility, but it also provides other functionalities that help companies to secure their mobile computing devices. These include access management, posture evaluation, telemetry, online security, diagnostic reporting, and customer feedback. The Cisco ASA or Adaptive Security Appliance helps to connect all devices on a company’s network with the AnyConnect tool.
Cisco offers cutting edge security solutions for companies that follow the BYOD or Bring Your Own Device policy. The protection is available for devices connected to the physical network as well as cloud-based devices. The solution is simple to use and deploys easily with any kind of network architecture. Meraki is the most popular technology in this category which maximizes the security of all LAN devices against virus attacks. It also scans all computers to detect if any computer is operating without an antivirus software to block them from the network.
The IT security environment is becoming increasingly complex as companies incorporate new computing technologies into their networks and intruders adopt more sophisticated methods to compromise their security. Cisco offers some new solutions that can help organizations become better prepared and equipped to respond to the security challenges of the new era.
The tools are proof of the company’s continuous investment in new technologies and solutions to add value to their clients. As far as enterprise security in the 21st century goes, these technologies developed by Cisco can be of immense help to organizations looking to protect their resources against harm while carrying out their business activities smoothly.