In this pandemic time Surya namaskar is a blessing in disguise. Surya Namaskar is part of one of the Ashtanga yoga called “Asana“(Posture). Surya Namaskar is so special because it has not only Asanas but also it has a mantra to be recited for each asana.
Surya Namaskar is not just another exercise or gymnastics like most Western people think. It has postures, mantras, and specific breathing rhythms in each of the specific postures. Surya Namaskar mantras are specifically designed for each asana so that you get the maximum benefit out of it. Each mantra recited during Surya Namaskar has its own meaning it.
During this pandemic time doing the Surya Namskara will helps the people to strengthen both physical and psychological level. It also boosts the immunity and acts are barrier against any virus and bacteria.
Surya Namaskar benefits can be categorized into 3 types such as
- Strong and Flexible Spine: The postures are scientifically designed to keep the spine flexible and to help the spine to function effectively.
- Flexible Joints: The bending movements in the postures of Surya Namaskara help a lot in maintaining the ligaments and joints.
- Youthfulness and mindfulness: I have seen people who practice Surya namaskar practice every day is brimming with self-confidence and ever juicy youthfulness.
- A strong digestive system: Predominantly stomach is also an incredible muscle and in order to keep the perfect harmony of the secretion of juice, the various postures of Surya Namaskar help in the digestion process.
- Youthful skin: The rush of the blood and perfect movement of the various postures in Surya Namaskara can actually improve the skin tone and helps in keeping the skin active
There are so many material benefits one can get from the Surya Namaskar. Various mantras which are given below provide the benefits of surya namaskar.
- adityasya namaskaran ye kurvanti dine dine Janmantra sahashreshu daridryam nopajayathe: Those who always do Sun salutation will never see the face of daridrya (Poorness) in life.
- Those who always chant Aditya, Aditya, Aditya will never be devoid of Money.
Spiritual benefits: Below are mantras and stotras from ancient texts which explains the importance of the Surya Namaskar.
adityasya namaskaran ye kurvanti dine dine
ayuh prajna balam viryam tejastesan ca jayat
Those who perform Sun salutation every day these things will improve such as life expectancy, Consciousness, Strength (Mental and Physical), Vital energy day by day.
hiraṇyagarbhaḥ śiśirastapano bhāskaro raviḥ।
agnigarbho’diteḥ putraḥ śaṅkhaḥ śiśiranāśanaḥ
He is Hiranyagarbha born of Aditi of a golden womb, He is Sisirastapana the destroyer of the cold, snow and fog, illuminator, Ravi, bearer of the fire and conch, He is the remover of ignorance and giver of fame.
Some other benefits of Surya Namaskar are: it gives us mind peace, control over emotions and senses, huge memory, concentration, mental ability, fitness, and bless us with a long life Span.