The California coast is known for beautiful beaches, amazing weather and a playful atmosphere. Whether you want to lay out in the sun, surf the waves or take a private boat cruise San Diego, LA and other SoCal communities have a lot to offer. One of the best places to visit for a day trip is Balboa Island in Newport Beach.
What Is Balboa Island?
Balboa Island is an island and community in Newport Beach. The community of just over 3,000 people is spread across three islands: Balboa, Little Balboa and Collins. Like many harbor islands along the coast, it is a popular place for tourists and locals alike. Many of the people who live on the island also own boats, and there is a very active nautical scene in the area. The island is shielded by the Newport Beach peninsula, so the waters tend to be quite calm around the island.
Where To Eat, Play & Relax
If you want to plan a day trip to Balboa Island, you will need a few activities. These are five things to do:
- 501 Park Avenue Bistro: This American restaurant located on Park Avenue offers delicious food at reasonable prices. It is a great dine-in experience for anyone visiting the island.
- Paddleboarding: Thanks to its sheltered position, the island is perfect for stand-up paddleboarding. You can enjoy some time out on the water and get a little exercise.
- Whale Watching: This isn’t strictly on the island, but it is a great time, nonetheless. If you want to try whale watching March 2022 is likely to give you some excellent glimpses of gray whales. If you go later in the season, you may see blue whales.
- Museum and Historical Society: Balboa Island has a fascinating history due to being a manmade island. Consider heading to the Balboa Island Museum and Historical Society to learn a little about this.
- Snipe Island Crafthouse: This restaurant and craft bar is a great place to relax and unwind at the end of the day. Plus, it is located near the water (although everyone on the island is), so you can easily enjoy a nice stroll afterward.
There is only one way to walk to drive to Balboa Island: the Marine Avenue Bridge. This connects the mainland of Newport Beach to the island. Little Balboa Island and Collins Isle are also connected to the big island via bridges on Park Avenue.
You can also take a boat to get to Balboa Island. This can be a great way to start your day trip because you can then also go boating out on the ocean.
Plan Your California Coastal Experience
Discover more about visiting Balboa Island and many other places like it along the California coast. For example, did you know that the best time for whale watching in San Diego is late winter and early spring? This is when the gray whales are migrating. Sometimes you can see them from shore! Start planning your trip today.