Acne is a skin condition that occurs when sebum and dead cells clog the skin pores/hair follicles. Very common in adolescence, acne can also appear on adult skin. Hormonal changes, genetic predispositions, high levels of stress, specific medications, supplements, pollution, unhealthy food and lifestyle, and cosmetics are primarily responsible for acne.
- Touching your face a lot
- Excessive sweat
- Leaving your dirty hair in contact with your sensitive skin
- Work with oils and chemicals regularly
- Athletes or bodybuilders who take anabolic steroids
Acne most often develops on the face, neck, chest, shoulders, or back and can range from mild to severe. Only a professional skin doctor for acne treatment can guide you well, as each condition has a specific treatment.
- Blackhead: small open lesions or closed
- Pimples: the well-known lesions with a yellowish or white tip
- Papules: small red bumps
- Nodules: abnormal growths on the skin or any tissue in the body, forming bumps
- Cysts: it is a tissue bag filled with air, liquid, pus, or other fluid.
Acne severity rating
The mildest forms of acne are non-inflammatory lesions. Mild to moderate acne are pimples with or without pus. Severe acne has significant skin inflammation, with multiple papules and pustules. Scars may appear. Severe nodular acne is an extreme form that occurs mainly in young males and in which large lesions can appear.
Treatment depends on the severity of acne, the type of lesions, and the patient’s tolerance. Therapeutic options include:
- Topical treatments
- Oral medicines
- Oral contraceptives that act on hormones
- Laser or phototherapy treatment
- Skin exfoliation
- Filling with collagen
Depending on the severity of the acne, the best acne doctor can ask you to take some preventive measures. They are, gently washing the skin every day (wash the most affected areas twice a day), avoiding exposing the skin to oils and the sun, washing your hair often, avoid wearing synthetic fabric clothing, avoiding foods with a high Glycemic index, wash your face with anti-microbial solution, etc.