I personally am a favourite of this dish “majjiga pulusu”, a dish prepared with spiced buttermilk containing boiled vegetables. I have been fond of this dish since my childhood and today I present to you my Grandma’s authentic majjiga pulusu recipe. You can make this dish with fresh buttermilk or with sour buttermilk too. It is quite common that curd gets sour if not stored properly. So whenever curd gets sour, add the required amount of water and churn it into buttermilk. This sour buttermilk may not be liked by some people to consume the way it is. But when this recipe is made with sour buttermilk, it tastes so good that you even forget that you made this dish with sour buttermilk. My grandmother makes sure every dish that she prepares will be so delicious. I have a bucket full of her original recipes which will be coming soon.
But for now lets see the preparation method and ingredients required to prepare the flavoured majjiga pulusu.
Ingredients: (Serves 4-5 people)
3 glasses of buttermilk(It tastes good even if sour buttermilk is added.)
1.5 tbsp besan flour
1.5 tbsp salt
1/4 tbsp turmeric
2 tbsp chana dal/bengal gram
2 tbsp black gram/urad dal
1/4 tbsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 tbsp mustard seeds
1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
1 inch ginger
3 red chili
1 green chili
Soaked rice for 10 mins – 2tbsp
1 cup of chopped bottle gourd
Coriander powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Churn 3 glasses of buttermilk properly such that there are no traces of curd. It should completely be in a liquid form so that it doesn’t curdle when cooked.
- Add 1.5 tbsp. Besan flour/Gram flour, 1.5 tbsp. salt( add 1 tbsp. If you consume less), ¼ tbsp turmeric.
- Now churn the buttermilk such that all these get mixed well.
- Take a pan and add 3 tbsp of oil. Now add 2tbsp. of chana dal/bengal gram, 2tbsp. of split back gram, ¼ tbsp. Fenugreek seeds, ½ tbsp. Mustard seeds, ½ tbsp. Cumin, 1 inch ginger, 4 garlic cloves, 2 tbsp. Soaked rice for 10 mins, 2 red chilies, 1 green chili, hing.
- Roast all the pulses and spices.
- Once it is done, switch off the flame and let it cool for some time in order to transfer it to the grinder.
- Meanwhile, take a pan(I cooked on a pot and it tasted so delicious) and add 4 tbsp of oil.
- Add cumin and mustard seeds half a tbsp each.
- Now add a cup of largely chopped(diced) bottle gourd pieces, 4-5 lady’s finger pieces and saute them.
- Add a pinch of salt to speed up the cooking process.
- Add 1 chopped tomato and let the vegetables fry on a low flame.
- You can increase or decrease the quantity of vegetables or the variety of vegetables you’d like to add in the dish. You can include drumstick, radish etc.
- By this time the fried pulses and spices might have been cooled, so grind them finely by adding some water so that it is made into a paste.
- Add this paste into the buttermilk prepared and churn it thoroughly so that there are no lumps formed. You can also add this prepared mixture to the fried vegetables and mix it well to avoid lumps.
- Now add the buttermilk to the vegetables.
- Let it boil well, only then all the flavours will be perfectly added to the buttermilk.
- Add fresh coriander leaves and curry leaves to supplement the flavours added.
- You can turn off the flame once it starts to bubble up.
It feels delightful when this dish is served with hot rice. I’m sure you would definitely want to prepare this dish whenever you have fresh/sour buttermilk. Trust me, add 2 glasses of water in the sour buttermilk and add these flavours, you will not feel the sourness of the buttermilk. It feels so flavorful and delicious when served hot. Hop on and show some love on – http://flawlessmania.com/
Also do subscribe to – https://www.youtube.com/c/amruthadintyala?sub_confirmation=1 in order to not miss the complete videos of the dishes.