Many homeowners suffer from nightmares involving clogged sewers. Not only is it a costly repair, but it can also be a serious health hazard. Thankfully, there are several preventative measures you can take to avoid this issue in the first place.
In this article, we’ll discuss some important tips to keep your home’s sewer in tip-top shape. We’ll also explore how taking these steps could potentially save you a lot of money in the long run.
What are some tips to prevent clogged sewers?
Clogged sewers can be caused by various things including tree roots, foreign objects, and grease buildup. Some tips to help prevent clogged sewers include the following:
- Regularly inspect your sewer lines– Inspecting your sewer lines on a regular basis can help you locate any blockages or potential problems before they become more serious. This can save you time and money in the long run.
- Avoid flushing items that don’t belong– Toilet paper, wipes, and feminine hygiene products are the only things that should be flushed down a toilet. Flushing foreign objects can cause blockages and backups in your sewer line.
- Use drain filters– Drain filters can help catch hair, food particles, and other items that can cause clogs. They are easy to install and inexpensive to purchase.
- Clear out tree roots– If you have trees growing near your sewer line, it’s important to have them cleared out periodically. Tree roots can easily break through pipes and cause blockages or backups.
- Avoid pouring grease down the drain– Grease can easily build up and create blockages in your pipes. Make sure you dispose of leftover oils and fats properly by throwing them away in the garbage, instead of down the drain.
By following these simple tips, you can help prevent expensive repair costs and keep your family safe from a potential health hazard.
How can clogged sewers be fixed?
If you notice signs of a clogged sewer, such as slow drains or gurgling pipes, there are several ways to fix the issue. Some common methods include the following:
- Plunging– A plunger can be used to dislodge clogs and restore the flow of water. However, it’s important to remember that plunging is only a temporary solution and will not address any underlying issues that caused the clog in the first place.
- Chemical cleaners– Store-bought chemical cleaners are an effective way to break up clogs. However, it’s important to use these products with caution as they can be hazardous if used incorrectly.
- Professional sewer cleaning– If the issue is more serious or you just don’t have the time or energy to handle it yourself, you should consider hiring a professional plumbing service to take care of the problem. They have the knowledge, experience, and tools to fix any sewer clogs quickly and safely.
These are all effective ways to fix a clogged sewer in Millcreek or elsewhere, but the best way to avoid this issue is to take preventative measures, as discussed above.
When to call for help
It’s important to know when to call for help if you suspect there may be an issue with your sewer line. If you notice any of the following signs, it’s best to contact a professional plumber immediately:
- Slow draining or gurgling sounds coming from your pipes– This happens when air can’t escape from the pipes due to blockages.
- Standing water in your yard– If you’re seeing pools of water in your yard, this could be a sign that your sewer line is blocked or leaking.
- Unpleasant odors– Sewer gas smells like rotting eggs and can be hazardous to inhale. If you smell something foul coming from your drains, it’s important to call for help right away.
- If you’re not sure or it’s an emergency– If you’re not sure what’s causing the issue or if it’s an emergency, it’s best to call a professional immediately.
Clogged sewers can be a homeowner’s worst nightmare, but by taking preventative measures and knowing when to call for help, you can keep your home and your family safe and your wallet intact!
Do you have any experience dealing with a clogged sewer? Share your tips and tricks in the comments below!