Majority of Mac users don’t feel the need to install antivirus software on their device, and this is because of the popular myth that Mac computers are immune to viruses and other malicious files. While it is true that the Mac OS is essentially more protected and secure than other systems –Windows; there is still the need to ensure that your Mac device is protected from other dangerous malware, spyware, and malicious code.
Is The MacOs Vulnerable?
Any gadget stands at risk of being infected with viruses and malware. The MacOs is no exception. It is commonly believed that malware can only infect computers running on the Windows platform. This is not completely true, that is because malware can be written to target any platform and this is a growing phenomenon with the Mac OS.
Criminals and hackers are mounting up the pressure on Apple, and this will continue to be an upward trend. So, there is a need for you to protect your Mac from any infiltration or vulnerability.
Reasons to Get an Antivirus
There are many reasons why you should think about getting an antivirus to improve the security of your device. Some of those reasons are highlighted below:
- Windows are improving their security: There was a time when Mac users could rest easy knowing that no malicious software was not targeting them. They could surf the Internet with enthusiasm because their major rival had a bigger target on its back.
- Those days, however, are long gone now. Windows OS is beefing up its defense day by day, making it harder for viruses to be effective on the platform. That could mean a shift in the target of virus attacks. You shouldn’t wait for your device to get infected, better do something to prevent it.
- Macs are becoming more popular: Yes, The windows platform is still the leading OS used on computers, but Mac devices are becoming more popular. That means that there is a higher probability of getting the attention of malware developers and hackers.
- According to a 2018 report from Malwarebytes, Mac malware increased by an alarming 270% since 2017. Recently, there has been a widespread infection with a virus called “Cookieminer malware.” Many other virus attacks have occurred over the years, and that is another reason why you should consider getting antivirus protection for your Mac.
- Mac owners are attractive targets: we all know how expensive it is to get a mac device; this usually makes it exclusive to people who have a higher income. So, they become more attractive targets for malware developers who may be looking to steal their passwords and financial information. That is why you shouldn’t just rely on your in-built protection.
Best Antiviruses for Mac?
If you have finally decided to get an antivirus for your Mac device, the following are some honest recommendations for you:
- Avast Antivirus: Avast antivirus has been providing excellent security and protection for computers and other devices for years. They are highly rated and support most of the popular platforms; including the Mac and iOs platforms.
- You can read some Avast reviews and see for yourself here.
- Intego Antivirus for Mac: This software also does an excellent job of keeping your Mac device secure and protected all day long. It offers real-time protection and has a user-friendly interface that makes navigating through the app easy.
Don’t be complacent about increasing the protection of your Mac computer; you need antivirus software to stay protected entirely. Make sure you get an antivirus for your device today.