A method of surgical process that eradicates non-functioning liver or replaces it with a fit liver in the body from a potential living donor or a deceased one is a liver transplant procedure. Liver failure occurs when the proper functioning of the liver stops. Only, a liver transplant can aid to enhance the state of the tolerant. The liver is the huge internal part of the human body and performs numerous crucial functions, including:
- Filtering and refines nutrients and hormones in the body
- Formulating bile, which aids the body to soak fats and cholesterol
- formation of protein cells that support the blood clot to heal
- eradicating bacteria and harmful substances from the bloodstream
- Halting infection and maintaining the immune system
Liver transplant is normally preoccupied as a healthcare option for patients who have serious contingencies due to end-stage dreadful liver disease. The Medical option for liver transplant is also available in rare cases of sudden dysfunction of a previously healthy liver in the body. However, The number of patients waiting for a liver transplant hugely surpasses the number of available deceased or living -donor livers.
A living-donor liver transplant is an alternative possibility for the waiting period for a deceased-donor liver to be available. A living-donor liver transplant is attainable because the human liver renews and gets back to its normal area in a short span of time after the surgical withdrawal of the organ.
Reasons behind performing the surgery
A liver transplant is a medical option for patients with liver failure whose condition is severe and can’t be controlled with other alternatives. This is also for some patients with liver cancer. Liver failure might occur rapidly or over a long duration of time. Liver failure that happens quickly, in a time frame of weeks, is an acute liver failure condition. Acute liver failure is a rare state that is commonly the outcome of drawbacks from certain medications.
Likewise, a liver transplant must cure acute liver failure, although it is more useful to aid chronic liver failure. Chronic liver failure gradually happens slowly over a few months and years. Chronic liver failure may be occurred by a vast range of conditions. The most familiar origin of chronic liver failure is the scarring of the liver also labeled as cirrhosis. When cirrhosis happens, scar tissue restores normal liver tissue and be the cause of the liver to not perform manually. Cirrhosis is the most frequent ground basis for a liver transplant.
Major causes are:
- Alcohol abuse to the liver
- Hepatitis B and C
- Liver inflammation or cell damage due to fat build-up
- Genetic disease
- Diseases affecting bile ducts
Liver Transplant Surgery in India
A hotspot medical destination for patients all around the world is India in the current scenario. For so many reasons, India is in the list of medical healthcare options. One can avail of the best liver transplant in India without a language barrier and waiting period in comparison to other countries. The cost of liver transplant in India varies from 15lakhs to 20 lakhs in Indian Rupee. A well medical aid option with high-end services and considerably low-cost rates in India. The success rate in India for liver transplant surgery is more than 85% with facilities one cannot ignore.
How to prepare
Deciding a transplant center
If the doctor suggests a liver transplant based on a patient’s condition, then he/she may require to opt for a transplant center. A patient is also free to pick the best transplant center or select a center from the insurance company’s list of present medical aid providers. While choosing, one has to keep the following points in mind:
- Acknowledge the number, facts, and type of transplants the center carries out every year.
- Be aware of the success rates of the center in liver transplant.
- Facts check transplant center statistics.
- Know the total expenditure of the whole procedure from start to end cost rates.
- Review additional services assisted by the transplant center.
- Examine the professional’s loyalty to adhering up with the latest transplant technology and advanced systems.
Firstly, you’ve opted for a transplant center, you’ll require an evaluation to know whether you meet the center’s eligibility preconditions. Every transplant center has its own eligibility specifications. If you aren’t selected at one transplant center, you may go through with analysis at another center.
The goals of the evaluation procedure are to regulate whether a patient is:
- healthy enough to undergo surgery and endure lifelong post-transplant medications and treatments.
- Have any severe medical issues that would hinder with transplant recovery
- is willing and able to take medications as directed by the transplant professionals or team.
Understand the procedure of deceased donor liver transplant and living donor liver transplant. Get proper information and the differences that prevail and what the patient is getting into. However, a proper match for the donor is really important for the patient’s well-being.
After the liver transplant surgery, the patient can expect to:
- Stay in intensive care for a few days. Doctors and nurses will record the post-state to examine for indications or complications. They’ll also test your new liver if it is functioning properly and is supporting the body or not.
- Recovery sessions. Once a patient is in a stable state, they are taken to a transplant recovery session to continue with therapy and relaxing.
- Have regular checkups after you get home. The transplant professionals design a routine check-up schedule for the patient. Probably, a patient may undergo blood tests a few times per week at the start and then less often after a period of time.
- Have medications for the rest of the life. After liver transplant surgery, the patient may take many medications for the rest of life. Proper drugs or medications may help boost the immune system from striking the new liver in the body.
Look forward to at least six months or more recovery time before a patient will feel fully healthy and normal after the liver transplant surgery. Depending on the condition, the patient may start their normal activities and follow a proper healthy diet for a speedy recovery. In addition, Learn about the condition and the food intake for this particular issue and lead a long term life.