Personal injuries are quite common; every year, over 40 million people only in the U.S. get injured and get medical treatments for them. With that, bicycle injuries are no exception.
However, many motor drivers have a misconception that bicycle injuries don’t come in the motor vehicle laws. This is the reason drivers don’t follow the rules which make cyclists follow the personal injury legalities.
If stats are to be believed from the Centers for Disease Control, there are over 467,000 accidents from bicycles in 2015. In 2016, there were about 840 fatal bicycle accidents only in the U.S.
So, here are signs that show you need a lawyer immediately:
You Have Visible Injuries:
If you have visible injuries and have medical bills relating to your treatment, you need a lawyer. The treatments can be costly, especially if you have lots of injuries. These injuries may cause you to miss your work and income. To overcome these losses, you need an attorney to help you know your rights. A car accident attorney in the Bronx will get you compensation for all bills and due payments.
The Person Is Not Accepting His Fault:
In some accidents, the drivers don’t admit their fault. Other times, they blame you for the accident, claiming your negligence in riding the bicycle. This can hinder your financial recovery. However, having an attorney can help you with your finances.
For Third Party Insurance Claim:
Right after the accident, you may have to file a claim with the driver’s insurance to get compensation for the losses. Also, bicycle claims can be complicated, and the insurance companies will try to avoid liability.
You Are Ready For The Settlement:
If the other party has offered you some amount for the settlement, you should ask your lawyer first. Do not accept the offer immediately as underestimating your losses may put you in losses. Also, if you first accept the offer, you will not be able to file a legal claim against the faulty person.
3 Ways you Can Minimize your Accident Risk:
Here are a few things you can do you prevent the accident or to minimize the severity of injuries:
Put On Your Helmet: Wearing a helmet is one of the most effective ways and most useful ways to prevent head injuries. It protects the face, head, and neck from getting injured.
Make Yourself Visible To Drivers:
Most accidents occur because drivers don’t see bikes on roads. So, increase your visibility on the road by adding lights to the front and back of the bike. You can also add reflectors to the bike frames, tires, and pedals. When riding at night, wear bright color clothes.
Don’t Drink And Cycle:
Intoxication is another major reason for bicycle accidents. Drunk riders experience the same effects as that of drunk drivers like slow reaction time, change in vision, depth perception, and judgment.
Causes of Bicycle Collisions:
Motor vehicle accidents cause most bike deaths and later result in severe injuries. Moreover, the cyclists don’t have high protection as that of someone sitting in the car. Some of the most common causes of a collision are:
- When the vehicle cuts off the bicycle on the road.
- When the motor vehicle takes a sharp turn and cut off the rider in the cycling lane.
- The driver from the parked vehicle suddenly opens the door in the path of a bicycle.
- The cyclist is riding to the wrong side i.e., against the traffic.
- When the driver or rider runs to the traffic lights.
- The cyclist makes a sudden or hazardous move.
- The rider is riding a defective bicycle
- The cyclist fall off suddenly due to balance loss
Damages In The Bicycle Collision:
- Economic Damage: This includes losses that are quantifiable like a medical bill, property damages, lost wages, damage to cycle, and more.
- Non-Economic Damages: This includes pain and suffering, the issues caused to the family, and more.
- Punitive Damages: The judge depending on the case, often gives these damages; they are more like punishments offered to the faulty.
If you or your loved ones have been injured in a bicycle accident, hire an injury attorney, and stay relaxed.