Professional teeth whitening treatment has become extremely popular in recent times. As people are exposed to beautiful models and actors on social media and television, they are spending more money on improving their appearance than ever before. The procedure offers optimum results in a short period of time. It is performed by a dentist.
Unlike over-the-counter products and professional home kits, teeth whitening done by a professional offers amazing results. The main reason why people do not get professional teeth whitening done is because of cost. However, in-office teeth whitening procedure is well worth the cost. It can help you achieve the desired results. If you are considering professional teeth whitening and want to learn more about the procedure, you have come to the right place. This post answers all the questions that you have in mind.
What Is Professional Teeth Whitening?
Before we take a look at how professional teeth whitening treatment is performed, it is important to know what the procedure is. In the simplest of words, professional teeth whitening refers to a type of cosmetic dentistry that is linked to improvement of aesthetics. It has become a major trend today. If you want to get brighter teeth, it is the way to go. Besides, the procedure does not take long and can be done within a single appointment.
What Can You Expect From Professional Teeth Whitening?
When it comes to in-office teeth whitening, the procedure is not complicated. However, it requires skill to ensure that the patient does not suffer from any injury in the gum area. Besides, expensive equipment is required for preparing and completing the treatment. It takes about 60 to 90 minutes for the procedure to be completed. To perform the procedure, the following steps are followed.
- The first thing that the dentist would do is record the current shade of the patient’s teeth.
- Next, the teeth would be polished with a grainy material. It will help remove plaque from the surface.
- Then, the mouth would be isolated with the help of gauze. It will ensure that the teeth remain dry. It is possible for retractors to be used to keep the tongue, lips, and cheeks away from the solution.
- After the mouth is isolated, a barrier would be placed on the gum line to ensure that the mouth is completely protected from the solution.
- The front surface of the teeth will be coated using a whitening solution. The solution consists of either carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide. It would act as the bleaching agent.
- A laser or curing light is also required by most whitening products for the activation of the peroxide in the products. Once the solution has been applied onto the teeth, it will be left on the teeth for about half an hour to an hour. It might also need to be reapplied depending on the brand used.
- Once the desired shade is achieved or the maximum amount of time has lapsed, the dentist would rinse your teeth.
- The dentist might apply fluoride to help ease tooth sensitivity as it is a common side effect of teeth whitening products.
- There might be a need for additional visits to reach the desired shade.
Professional Teeth Whitening Aftercare
After the treatment is complete, the dentist will request you to avoid certain foods and beverages. Generally, those food and beverages will be prohibited that have a high level of pigment. You will not be allowed to do so for at least a day. Some of the food items and beverages that will be prohibited include black grapes, candies, beets, yellow mustard, tomato sauce, tea, coffee, and red wine. Moreover, smoking or any type of tobacco use should be also avoided.
Professional At-Home Teeth Whitening Kits
Now, people that cannot afford an in-office procedure tend to go for do-it-yourself products. It is best to visit a dentist and request for such products from them. They will require you to provide a dental impression. It will enable them to make customized-fitted trays for your teeth. It takes around a week or two for these trays to be made. It takes about an hour to perform the procedure. The treatment would continue for about 2 weeks. It is not as difficult to perform and is still a better option than an OTC brand from the drugstore. However, if you can save up for professional teeth whitening treatment, it is important that you opt for a professional treatment.