One of the update errors that you can face in Quickbooks is error code 404. This error occurs because the Quickbooks application was installed incorrectly. The error makes your system suddenly crash or hang after frequent intervals. Other than this, you can also face this issue because the installation files are corrupted or infected on the system. This post explains all the methods to get rid of the Quickbooks update error 404.
Sources of Quickbooks Error Code 404
- The Quickbooks installation is not completed correctly, or the installation file is damaged.
- In case the application is infected by malware, or the Quickbooks-related files are deleted.
- Other than this, the error can also occur if the windows registry entries are corrupted.
- Your system is infected with a virus, or the company folders are corrupted.
- Other than this, there are chances that any Quickbooks-related file is deleted from the system.
Easy Ways to Fix Error Code 404
So, now you know why you face Quickbooks error 404. You will now have to proceed with resolving the issue. Here, we have explained all the fixation methods for error code 404.
Solution 1: Make Sure Quickbooks Application is Up-to-Date
- It is essential to make sure that you are using an updated version of the Quickbooks application on the system. To update the application, pursue the process according to the steps mentioned below.
- First, start the Quickbooks application on your system. In the Quickbooks application, you will have to hover to the Help tab.
- Under the Help tab, choose the update option.
- When done, you need to wait for the update process to complete. When the process will complete, end the Quickbooks application on the system.
- After this, open the required company file on your system and then check if the error is resolved or not.
In case you continue facing the issue, here are all the steps mentioned below.
- First, you will have to start the Run window on the system. In the Run window, you will have to choose Appwiz.CPL and then click on OK.
- When done, a prompt with a complete application list will be present on the screen. You will have to look for the Quickbooks application and then click on the same. You will now have to choose to repair.
- When the process is complete, you will have to start the application on the system.
Solution 2: Modify System Settings
Now, the following method that we suggest you follow is to check the system settings, and if they are not correct, you will have to change the same. To change the settings, follow the steps mentioned below.
- First, you need to start Quickbooks on the system and then start the company file.
- After this, look for the process in which you encounter the update error in the Quickbooks application.
- Now, you will have to tap on the internet option. Also, choose tools options and then select Internet options.
- When done, you need to click on the settings tab and choose to end all the programs.
- After this, open the Run window on the system by pressing the Windows key and R key together.
- You will then have to enter MSConfig and then choose Ok.
- When done, in the next prompt, you will have to choose a general option.
- Under this, click on the Startup option. Choose the Selective startup option and then choose Ok.
- When done, you will have to start the system again.
- You will then have to start Quickbooks and open the Quickbooks company file.
- When done, start the process where you have encountered Quickbooks error 404.
Solution 3: Verify the Speed of Internet
In case your internet is causing issues, you will have to make sure that the internet speed is fine. For this, follow the steps mentioned below.
- The very first step is to open Internet Explorer. You will then have to open any of your preferred websites.
- If you are unable to access the URL, you need to change or refresh the settings. When done, try opening the same URL again.
- If you are still facing the issue, you need to power cycle your router and try opening the same URL.
- After this, you will have to start your system again and then visit the URL.
- When done, make sure to set Internet Explorer as the default browser.
- Even after all the efforts, you continue facing the issue; you will have to contact the service provider and ask them to resolve it.
Solution 4: Resolve Manually
If the methods mentioned above didn’t help you, you would have to resolve the Quickbooks error 404 manually. These steps are generic, and you can also fix other errors like Quickbooks error 3371 status code 11118 or other update errors with these. Follow the steps mentioned below.
- The very first thing is to fix the registry entries.
- Also, scan your system for malware attacks.
- Run disk cleanup to remove temporary files.
- Undo all the modifications by restoring the windows version.
- Uninstall and install the Quickbooks application.
This was the complete troubleshooting guide for Quickbooks error 404. If, after following this guide, you continue facing the issue, we suggest you look for professional support.