Wearing a dog backpack will give some benefits to your dog.
- For dogs which have difficulty walking on leash properly, wear a dog backpack may become a training tool. Putting on a dog backpack in a normal walk will put your dog into “working mode”.
- High energy, nervous, or hyperactive dogs can be help out by giving them “a job”. Your dog seems to respond focusing on the task of carrying his/her backpack.
- For over-weight dogs, daily walks with a dog backpack are ideal as weight loss training.
A daily walks will effective if he/she carry dog backpack that weighted appropriately. Dog behavior professional, Cesar Milan, recommends about 45-minuted daily walk with a backpack. So, how much weight can we put into dog backpack? Carry over weight things on dog backpack for an extended period might cause your dog to suffer physically.
First, purchase the suit dog backpack for your dog. Consider Types of Backpacks for Dogs and How to Measure for Doggie Backpacks. Look at the size of your dog. Then you should train your dog using his/her new dog backpack. Please read my articles about How to Wear Backpack for Dogs and Tips for Using Your New Dog Backpacks. If the dog backpack is not correctly fitted your dog may feel uncomfortable and maybe even injured.
Dogs in prime condition are capable of carrying up to 25 percent of their normal body weight over distances. But for the first walk you should start with an empty pack for a few minutes a day. Allow them to get used to it. Start to put a bottle of water about 12-ounce on each side. Gradually add weight until your dog reaches its reasonable carry limit. If you are planning to go adventure with your dog, here is my article about dog pack tips.
Benefits to Have a Dog Backpack
You can go along with your loved dog on outdoor vacations and enjoy the fun the family does such as going camping, hiking or just experience the great outdoors with other happening events. Many people like to have their dog carry some of the gear, which does indeed relieve the stress on their own backs. So if your dog happens to be a big dog and you are bringing him along on the next outing, thinking about buying his own dog backpack.
There are some benefits to owning a dog backpack. Here some of them:
- A dog backpack can take a load off your back. With a dog backpack you can make sure to get everything your dog needs. He can carry his own food, water, playthings and waste management materials.
A healthy dog can carry about a quarter of his body weight in gear on his back. For a large dog, it is possible it can carry 20 or so pounds. Of course, in the beginning you should train your dog to wear the backpack. First, exercise your dog for short walks. Add some weight to the backpack using books or canned goods.
- A dog backpack gives a dog character. He knows that he is doing something useful. Using dog backpack can train a dog to be calmer and redirect the attentions of a hyper-active dog.
- A lots of fun. A dog backpack induces fun for you and your dog when going outdoor together.