The Social Security Act was passed by Congress and approved into law seventy-five years before. The Act was built to help the individuals during disputing financial times, very comparable to today. Throughout the preceding seventy-five years, the Social Security Administration, or SSA, has supported many people who are suffering from disability and mental health issues by giving necessary aid. In 2010 alone, more than 10 million residents will get some support from the SSA.
One of the system’s central support is to offer some value of financial protection to old and retired people using a fund where workers fund their retirements. Another crucial aspect of the law is providing a source of financial support to individuals that are either temporarily or enduringly incapable of working.
Though it is not anything that people typically consider or prepare for, the chance of becoming disabled at someplace in your life is unique. According to the Social Security Administration (SSA), a 20-year-old person has a higher than 25% probability of becoming injured before reaching retirement age.
Defining Benefit Eligibility
Once your petition is processed, and the Social Security Administration determines that it matches the main rules to get benefits, the application is then sent to a state company that will choose whether the services should be awarded. Usually, claimants will start to receive refunds after being broken for more than five full months.
To temper for disability payments, an applicant must prove that their disability will last for more than twelve consecutive months. Moreover, one must show that they cannot produce any productive employment, even quiet work.
The Five-Step Inquiry
To decide if somebody is impaired and suitable for Social Security disability advantages, the Social Security Administration uses a 5 step review. These five subjects help determine the amount and kind of social security advantages you will get.
- Are you presently working on a task? If you are manipulated and reach a specific earning level or higher every month, the state company, in all probability, will notice that you are not disabled. If you are incapable of working or your income is below the threshold, the government bureau will look additional into your physical problem.
- Is your medical situation serious? For your medical health to be found to be severe, it must serve for at least 12 months and check your physical strength to perform regular employment actions.
- Can your medical situation be found on the registered list of health circumstances? Some medical injuries are stiff enough to suit you for SSD advantages automatically. These disabilities are placed fourth on a planned list of terms given by the SSA. If your situation is not on this list, the governmental company will choose if your disability is as firm as one of the scheduled impairments.
- Can you offer the kind of jobs that you have performed in the past? If you can do the work you did before, you will not be available for SSD advantages in all possibilities. If you cannot perform those jobs, the fact finder will review the last question in the disability method.
- Are you capable of doing any work? If you cannot do any of your early jobs, the business will then review to determine if you can complete any work. Your health status, age, knowledge level, previous work experience, and any other relevant job experiences will be analyzed during this method.