The last date of registration for the XAT 2021 exam has been extended up to December 10th 2020 and the exam is slated for January 3rd 2021. Candidates can download their admit cards from December 20th onwards. The XAT exam is one of the highly coveted management examinations in the country paving the way for candidates into the prestigious Xavier group of institutions and beyond.
With the exam date nearing, there isn’t a lot of XAT preparation time and to help you with just that we here present you with a 15-day revision table along with the best XAT 2021 exam preparation tips.
How to Prepare for XAT: Exam Pattern
The answer to the ‘how to prepare for XAT?’ lies largely in the exam pattern of the XAT exam. It is a Computer-based exam comprising of four main sections with only MCQ-based questions. The marking scheme is +1 mark for a correct answer and -0.25 marks penalty for an incorrect answer*. The following table sheds more light on the details.
|Verbal & Logical Ability||26||165 minutes [Sectional time not applicable]|
|Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation||28|
|Section 2||General Knowledge||25||15 minutes|
* An additional penalty of -0.05 marks per question applies if you leave more than 8 questions unattempted. Moreover, the General Knowledge section, according to previous year pattern, carries no negative marking.
How to Prepare for XAT: Verbal & Logical Ability Revision Tips
In the last 15 days, it is crucial to efficiently juggle between topics, revise on strong as well as weak areas and practice as many mock tests as well as short topics based tests as you can.
- Topics: Reading Comprehension, Sentence Correction, Error Detection, Jumbled Sentences, Grammar, Active & Passive Voice, Cloze Test, Vocabulary [Synonyms, Antonyms, One-word Substitution], Critical Reasoning/Inference, Paragraph Formation Questions etc., Fact, Inference, Judgement, Binary Logic, Logical Sequence, Assumption, Premise, Conclusion, etc.
- Especially in the last 15 days, Vocabulary must be covered intensively. Go over synonym and antonym lists of beginner, intermediate and advanced level every day. It may contain anywhere between 15-20 word each.
- As for Reading Comprehension, practising diverse passages from sciences and technology to social sciences and languages is a must. When revising, make a strategy to attempt the Reading comprehension passage in its entirety first and then moving onto the questions. Typically, the longer the set, the more difficult it is.
How to Prepare for XAT: Decision Making Revision Tips
- Topics: Arithmetic, Situational, Analytical Reasoning, Behavioural Reasoning, Conditions and Grouping Test, Managerial Reasoning questions in form of Case Studies, Data Arrangement Test, Complex Arrangement, Decision Making in a situation, Case lets, etc.
- The Decision-Making section tests your ability to logically analyse a business situation and assess the possible alternatives. Put yourself in the situation. A good strategy is to quickly scan the important elements of the question and judge it concerning the time you have left. In the last 15 days, familiarise yourself with first reading the problem, interpreting the accompanying graph/table and then moving to assess the questions. Using mind maps is also a valued alternative.
- Most commonly, you will find a set of 2-3 questions. However, a single question prompt and 4-5 question prompt will also be present. As a revision strategy, work a bit extra on the 2-3 questions set.
How to Prepare for XAT: Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation Revision Tips
- Simple & Compound Interest, Ratio & Proportion, Averages, Inequalities, Number System, Speed & Distance, Simplification, Percentages, Clocks, Puzzles, Profit & Loss, Partnerships, Venn Diagram, Functions & Linear Equations, Series, Sequences & Progressions, Probability, Graphs & Tables, Data Interpretation Sets, Quadratic Equations, Permutation & Combination, Cause & Effect, Assertion & Reason, Data Sufficiency, Statements & Conclusion, Advanced Puzzles, Syllogism, Polynomials, Geometry, Trigonometry, etc.
- Arithmetic and Data Interpretation can safely be said to be the most important sections with 8 questions each. The key here is to be extremely comfortable with numbers, averages, percentages, equations and simplification. One of the most important XAT 2021 preparation tips is to work on your tables, formulae, divisibility methods in the last 15 days as it helps complete questions faster.
How to Prepare for XAT: General Knowledge Revision Tips
- Current Affairs, Indian Constitution & Polity, National Issues, Business & Economics, Indian and World History, Film & Television, Science & Technology, Indian & World Geography, Culture, Events & Anniversaries, Books & Authors, Environment & Ecosystem, Personalities, Sports, Important Dates, Currency, etc.
- The General Knowledge section is all a play of memory. Thus, diversify your learning methods with puzzles, quizzes, mind maps, charts and tables as it gives your brain much more avenues to grasp information. This is one of the most significant XAT 2021 preparation tips.
- In the last 15 days XAT preparation books, definitely go through recent award conferrals, economic institutions [in India and abroad], science-based discoveries and inventions and the like. Alongside this, revise the static portion as well.
On the day just before your exam, leave everything, don’t dive into new topics and do not attempt any mock test. If possible, revise your vocabulary.
XAT Preparation Books:
Have a look at the given table for the best XAT Preparation Books you must have with you throughout your preparation.
|XAT Preparation Books||Author|
|Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations||Abhijit Guha|
|Data Interpretation for the CAT||Nishit K. Sinha|
|High School English Grammar & Composition||Wren, Martin|
|Word Power Made Easy||Norman Lewis|
|Target XAT 2020 Past Year Papers and Mock tests||Disha Experts Publications|
|Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning||Dr R.S.Aggarwal|
|How to Prepare for Quantitative for the CAT and Other Management Examinations [McGraw Hill Publications]||Arun Sharma|
How to Prepare for XAT: Key Takeaways
- The XAT is as much a test of your time management skills as it is of your abilities. With only 180 minutes on the clock, don’t go beyond 108 seconds per question. You will save up precious minutes on the GK section and utilise it effectively.
- The difficulty level of the paper tends to hover around the moderate-difficult level. A good attempt is typically at about 65-70 correct answers.
- Revise important formulae, techniques and strategies for the QA section. Don’t delve into new topics. Focus on what you know and leave the rest. Keep reviewing your notes and XAT preparation books. Incorporate creative learning strategies like flow charts, diagrams, puzzles, etc. Couple XAT preparation time with adequate sleep, fluids and a healthy diet.
One of the most instrumental XAT 2021 preparation tips we can give is to keep confident and patient throughout your XAT preparation time as well as during the exam. Trust your abilities and give your best. Stay Connect with us for More Education Blogs.