There is no set age difference between a man and a woman who wish to marry each other. However, traditionally in most cultures, a man is supposed to be older than a woman. It is because men have always been seen as the protector and providers for women. But as more and more women are becoming empowered and financially independent, marrying early is not a priority for them. Thus we can see marriages where men are younger than women, even in India.
There are many Indian celebrities who married older women, such as Sachin Tendulkar-Anjali, Saif Ali Khan-Amrita Singh, Sunil Dutt-Nargis, Shirish Kunder-Farah Khan and so on.
Pros of marrying older women:
There can be many advantages of marrying older women. A few among them are:
- Older Women are clear about what they want: Older women are usually past the age of indecision and know what they want from life and relationship. They are sure about their decision of marriage and what they want from a life partner. Thus, they tend to be more committed to their relationship.
- Older women are financially stable: An older woman will have her finances sorted out and not depend on her man to provide for her. She will be able to make financial decisions herself and help you with money matters rather than relying on you.
- Physical considerations: Men tend to peak sexually at a younger age than women, so a younger man and older woman may make a better match.
- Older women are more mature: An older woman has more experience and knows how to deal with her insecurities and fears. So you can learn a lot from her experiences.
Cons of marrying older women:
There can be some disadvantages of marrying an older woman as well.
- Be ready to be judged: Many people will be happy for you, but at the same time, many will judge you for being with an older woman. There will be shadow talks behind your back, and sometimes people will be outright vocal about it. You should not be caring about what other people say.
- Older women expect emotional maturity: Older women are more mature and sometimes expect the same from you. They are usually caring and accepting but make sure you treat them with respect and communicate well.
- Older women might have past baggage: With age and experience, we also accumulate baggage. For example, she might have kids, an ex-husband, or other related things she has experienced. You need to be accepting of her and her past decisions if you wish to be together.
Love is what, in the end, decides who you should be with and not age. However, recently married Indian celebrities to older women such asAbhishek Bachchan, Kunal Khemu, Neha Dhupia, Nick Jonas, and others proved that with respect and understanding, any marriage could work.