The super bowl is the annual championship game for the National Football League (NFL). It is a combination of the four exhibition preseasons, 16 games a regular season, and a single-elimination postseason. For the final four games, the super bowl featured the American Football League (AFL) and the National Football league. The two leagues merged in 1970.
This season Super Bowl 55 will be played on February 7, 2021, on Sunday. At Raymond James Stadium, Florida. NFL announced that the game was awarded to Tampa officially In 2017 after the NFL moved to Super Bowl set for Los Angeles from 2021 to 2022.
Since the merge, the game pits the champions of the National Football Conference (NFC) and the American Football Conference (AFC) against one another at a previously determined site.
American football is a popular sport across the World. With an audience of approximately 410 Million users, Football is at no 9 among the top 10 most-watched sports in the World. But for Americans, it’s a way of living. In the inauguration match of 2020 between Kansas City Chiefs and Houston Texas, approximately 19.3 million people turned on NBC, a 13 percent lower than 2019 where 22.2 million turned on the TV for the season kick-off. In America Football attracts 2nd most viewership just behind the NBA.
In the United States, there are two governing bodies for professional football National Football League (NFL) and American Football League (AFL). NFL and AFL are each other rivals, but in 1960 they came to an agreement that resulted in one league with two conferences, the most-watched yearly sports phenomenon on planet earth.
Super Bowl is an annual sports event played between the National Football league (NFL) champion and American Football League (AFL) Champion of the commencing year. It was started in 1967 by the name of the AFL-NFL World Championship game. After the merger between two respective leagues took place the game was officially called as Super Bowl. The most successful clubs are
- New England Patriots – Six Titles
- Pittsburgh Steelers – Six Titles
- Patriots have the most Super Bowl appearances 11
- Both AFL and NFL are tied at 27 titles each.
New England Patriots have won most titles(6) in 11 appearances. This club also holds a record of the most title-winning team in a single decade and longest winning streak in a regular season. New England Patriots hold the season title in:
- 3, 2002 at Superdome (New Orleans)
- February 1, 2004, at Reliant Stadium (Houston)
- February 6, 2005, at Alltel Stadium (Jacksonville, Fla.)
- February 1, 2015, at University of Phoenix Stadium (Glendale, Ariz)
- February 5, 2017, at NRG Stadium (Houston)
- February 4, 2018, at U.S. Bank Stadium (Minneapolis)
Pittsburgh Steelers joins the New England Patriots with the same 6 titles but this club has struggled a lot in American Football League (AFL) as this team couldn’t participate in most of the leagues but still won 6 and lost only 2 and has a remarkable winning percentage (75%). Pittsburgh Steelers hold the season title in:
- January 12, 1975, at Tulane Stadium (New Orleans)
- January 18, 1976, at Orange Bowl (Miami)
- January 21, 1979, at Orange Bowl (Miami)
- January 20, 1980, at Rose Bowl (Pasadena, Calif.)
- February 5, 2006, at Ford Field (Detroit)
- February 1, 2009, at Raymond James Stadium (Tampa, Fla.)
Green Bay Packers is one of the best teams with the highest 80% winning percentage. This team Hold the AFL title 4 times and lost only once. Green Bay Packers hold the season title in:
- 15, 1967 at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum
- January 14, 1968, at Orange Bowl (Miami)
- 26, 1997 at Superdome (New Orleans)
- February 6, 2011, at Cowboys Stadium (Arlington, Texas)
Super Bowl 2021
For the past few years, Super Bowl is played on the first Sunday of February. This Year it will be played on February 7 at Raymond James Stadium of Tampa Florida at6:30 p.m. EST, or 5:30 CST, 4:30 MST, 3:30 PST. The 2021 Super Bowl live stream by CBS and its networks.
Some Interesting Facts related to Super Bowl:
- Super Bowl’s Commercial air time is the most expensive in US television. Due to its higher viewership, the rates of commercials during the super bowl are sky-high.
- The second most interesting fact about the super bowl is it is the second-largest food consumption day of the US year besides Thanksgiving Day.
- Unlike regular games, Super bowl has an additional half an hour mid-break, during which popular singers perform live at Super Bowl
- When Michael Jackson Performed at Super Bowl, his performance received more audience than the actual match
- No team had ever played a super bowl at Home
Selection of Stadium
The Stadium for the super bowl is chosen five years before the actual match, decided in all owners meeting of NFL teams. No city that doesn’t own a franchise has ever hosted a Super Bowl. In 2014, NFL issued a document listing requirements of a super bowl stadium. These are
- The Stadium must be in a city that owns an NFL team, and have a minimum capacity of 70000, with a parking space of a minimum of 35000.
- The Host stadium must have a pre-game Entertainment area.
- The Host City must have a Football theme park, operated a week before the game.
- The necessary Super Bowl infrastructure like Parking, media and communication needs, security and electrical needs, transportation needs, dressing room facilities must be in place.
- The hotels for Teams, media, and other officials must be inside an hour drive space.
- There must be a proper practicing area for both teams.
- Much of the expenses of Super Bowl is to be shared by the host Community
Since 2002, the Super Bowl is played on the first Sunday of February. This is due to the tight NFL schedule, the 17-week regular season (where each team plays 16 games and has one bye). The Super Bowl is played after two weeks of the Conference Championship Games. This schedule has been in effect since Super Bowl XXXVIII from February 2004. The date of the Super Bowl can thus be determined from the date of the preceding Labor Day. For example, Labor Day in 2015 occurred on September 7; therefore the next Super Bowl was scheduled exactly five months later on February 7, 2016.
In U.S super Bowl is the second-largest day of food consumption. Moreover, it includes in seven most-watched broadcasts in U.S history. Organizers spent huge money on the advertisement for this broadcast as in those days everyone is talking about watching the broadcast. During super bowl event popular musicians and singers prepare their songs to perform in pre-match and half-time ceremonies.