Tue. May 21st, 2024

If you’re searching online for “How to sell my motorcycle,” you’ve arrived at the right place! Cash4Motorcycles is the leading purchaser of motorcycles, snowmobiles, watercraft, dirt bikes, and ATVs. Since we opened our doors in 2005, our goal has been to offer a fast and easy way for people to sell their unwanted Harley bikes and more. And we have been extremely successful at this mission.

Today, we work with customers from across the United States who are looking to get top dollar for their well-conditioned bike. One of the most essential ways we simplify the process of selling your bike is by handling the paperwork! Let’s take a closer look at a few key documents you should be familiar with when attempting to sell a Harley, Honda, or any other type of motorcycle.

The Motorcycle Title

Undoubtedly, the most important document in any vehicle sale is the title. Your title is what legally states and proves that you have ownership. Every motorcycle that has a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) has been issued a title. Your title is instrumental in you getting a license plate for the bike, which is necessary for it to be ridden on public roads. Every title will include certain information, such as:

  • Year of the motorcycle
  • Make of the motorcycle, such as Harley-Davidson, Honda, etc.
  • Model of the motorcycle
  • VIN of the bike
  • The name and address of the owner
  • And other information.

Can I Sell My Harley or Motorcycle Without a Title?

If you don’t have a title or have lost your title, you can run into a host of complications. While every state can vary in its laws, it is illegal in most states to sell a motorcycle without a title. Instead, you will need to go to your local DMV and report the title to your bike has been lost. They will issue you a “Lost or Stolen Title” form that you will need to complete and pay a fee. The application will then be transferred to the Department of Revenue who will confirm the information on the application matches what’s in their database. As long as the information matches their records, they will generate and issue you a new title.

The Odometer Disclosure

The Truth in Mileage Act requires all sellers of motorcycles and other motor vehicles to provide the buyer with an odometer disclosure at the time of purchase. Depending on where you live, you may be able to provide the mileage of the motorcycle on the title. However, other states require you to provide this information in a totally separate form. Make sure to check with your respective state’s DMV for rules and regulations. In either case, your odometer disclosure will generally include the following:

  • Make, Year, and Model of the Motorcycle with the VIN
  • Buyers Address and Name
  • Mileage of the vehicle at the time of ownership transfer
  • And other pertinent information

In addition, the odometer disclosure should have the signature of the buyer and seller as well as a notary public.

Bill of Sale Is Strongly Suggested

While the Bill of Sale isn’t necessarily required, it’s always a smart idea. This powerful document outlines the conditions and terms of the sale in writing. When selling your motorcycle, make sure your Bill of Sale include the following — at a minimum

  • Personal information for the seller
  • Personal information for the buyer
  • Odometer disclosure
  • Vehicle description
  • Purchase price
  • Signatures of seller, buyer, and notary public.

If a dispute ever arises in the sale of the motorcycle, a notarized Bill of Sale will be your best defense and can completely absolve you of any liability.

Skip the Confusing Paperwork & Contact Cash4Motorcycles to Sell Your Motorcycle

We get it: selling your motorcycle can be confusing and filled with pitfalls. And this is the very reason we started Cash4Motorcycles. Not only do we pay top dollar for used motorcycles and bikes, we make the process as easy as 1,2,3. Ready to get started? Reach out to us today for your free quote.

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *