The pharmacy assistant works under the supervision of a pharmacist and may be responsible for the general operation of a pharmacy and, particularly, aspects concerning safety, the reception of drugs, the preparation, packaging, storage, and the return or disposal of all unused products.
Some of the responsibilities of a Pharmacy Assistant include fulfilling orders under the supervision of a pharmacist, entering customer information, identifying the correct mixtures of substances for prescriptions, preparing and processing paperwork, and administration for orders.
ABM College’s pharmacy assistant course online covers a wide range of topics such as pharmacy assistant practices, basic pharmacology, medications, and medical terminology. Also explored are computer systems in pharmacies, hospitals, community pharmacy practices and procedures, drug dose calculations, and compounding labs. The topics of ethics, legislation, personal conduct and safety at work are also covered.
You get to work in a pharmacy as a pharmacy technical assistant. Your dedication to patients will be counted on. In this position, you will learn new skills and help the pharmacy team improve patients’ health and take care of people in your community.
You can ask yourself the following questions to know whether you are best suited for this role.
Are you a person who:
- Is committed to helping people in his community?
- Want to continually improve personally and professionally?
- Want to be part of a team of healthcare professionals who care about taking care of their patients?
- Want to learn more about a profession like those related to the pharmacy?
- Puts patients first and can provide excellent customer service?
If so, a career as a pharmacy technical assistant could be for you. You will play a frontline role in the pharmacy, where you will greet patients and help fill prescriptions. You will also access an in-depth specialized training program to develop and learn on the job. You’ll work for a pharmacist-owner who takes care of his employees and understands their jobs…because he’s a pharmacist.
A Pharmacy Technical Assistant is successful when they:
- Prioritizes patients and greets them promptly and professionally, providing excellent service;
- Accurately confirms the prescription and enters the details correctly into the system;
- Performs verification of third-party payers (if necessary);
- Dispensing prescription drugs, ensuring their accuracy;
- Ensures the maintenance of pharmacy stocks using control systems;
- Responds to patient requests for over-the-counter products and refers them to the pharmacist, if necessary;
- Takes care of customers who pick up their prescriptions and works at the pharmacy cashier.
- Excellent sense of organization and attention to detail;
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Commitment to providing outstanding customer service and patient care;
- Respect for high professional standards, as well as a high level of confidentiality;
- Makes informed decisions and demonstrates an aptitude for problem-solving;
- Good computer and data entry skills.
- A dynamic and diverse work environment that strives for and rewards excellence;
- Flexible and varied schedules;
- A competitive compensation structure that rewards superior and sustained performance;
- Employee discounts on in-store purchases;
- Training and development;
- A strong culture of involvement in charitable causes and community investment;
- A unique opportunity to work within a network focused on improving the health and well-being of the local community.