Wed. May 29th, 2024
call an ElectricianElectrician repairing circuit breakers in industrial electric panel.

Electricity is central to almost every activity you do. There is simply no escaping the fact we live in a digital world. While it is good to switch off from social media occasionally, most people will find it hard to go without electricity.

That’s why it’s essential to have the number of a reputable and reliable Sydney electrician handy, just in case. However, it’s a good idea to know what to look out for before you call the electrician. This will ensure you’re not wasting their time and your money.

Your motto should be “if in doubt call”. There are too many electrical house fires every year, some of which lead to deaths and injuries.

Here are the 5 signs you should be watching for:

  1. Flickering Lights

Flickering lights can mean your light bulb is about to come to the end of its life. But, if this is affecting more than one light there’s a good chance that your lighting circuits are overloaded.

It can also occur when other circuits are overloaded and running, prevent enough power from getting to your lights.

Turn off as many appliances as possible and try the lights again, this will help you to decide if it is the lighting circuit or another circuit in your home.

  1. Blown Breakers

If your house still has fuses then you may find that they are blowing regularly. More modern fuse boxes will have circuit breakers that trip constantly or don’t even turn back on.

This will help you to identify which circuit has an issue. The circuit itself may be overloaded or the wiring may be damaged. This creates a short which causes the fuse to blow. It also creates a spark and heat which increases the risk of a house fire.

  1. Burning Smell

This is a sign that your electrics are short-circuiting. It’s common with older wiring although can happen in any home. The short-circuit will create heat which will make components smell like they are burning. It can also start a fire.

  1. Hot Outlets

If you place your hand on a power transformer such as the one supplying your laptop, you’ll notice it’s warm or even hot. This is normal.

But, your outlets should never get warm or hot. If they are then you have another short-circuit which needs to be resolved as quickly as possible.

Short circuits generate heat which can cause fires. They can also create a shock that you’ll feel when using the socket. Hopefully, it will just be a tingle and not more serious.

  1. Age

Perhaps the biggest warning sign is simply the age of your electrical wiring. If its older than 20 years it needs replacing, the protective sheath will be damaged and likely to cause shorts.

If you’re not sure how old the wiring is then you should err on the side of caution. At the very least get a qualified electrician to check all your electrics for you. But be prepared to rewire.

By Pankaj sharma

Pankaj Sharma is a professional blogger with 5 years of experience. He covers topic like business, education, travel and entertainment stuff with fun. He's continued blogging and keep on inspiring other bloggers for the living.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *