Akshaya Tritiya, also known as Akshay Trutiya, Akti, or Akha Teej is a festival that is observed by Hindus and Jains. People consider it as an auspicious day to start a new business, venture, buying jewellery, new home etc as it is signified as the third day of unending prosperity and happiness, which is also actually what Akshaya Tritiya means in Sanskrit, i.e. Akshaya means eternal and Tritiya means third. It is basically lucky to start something new to grow wealth and fortune-wise, as many important incidents happened on this day – according to ancient history. Also, it is the day that both the Sun and the moon are said to be at their planetary best Now that you know this day has a huge significance because of multiple important incidents that happened on this day, let’s dig in a little more and tell you the ways to celebrate this day, the history of Akshaya Tritiya and the rituals followed by devotees. Have a look.
How To Celebrate Akshaya Tritiya
Though there is no particular way of celebrating Akshaya Tritiya, people do buy gold as it is a symbolic representation of good fortune and wealth. And devotees of Lord Vishnu keep fast on Akshaya Tritiya and later distribute food and clothes to the poor. Everyone has their own way of celebrating this auspicious day, some celebrate it the modern way by sending Akshaya Tritiya wishes and some devotees celebrate it by following traditional rituals.
What Is The History Of Akshaya Tritiya
Alt Text =”
According to ancient history and mythological beliefs, Akshaya Tritiya marks as a day when a lot of important incidents happened. Here is a list of all the incidents that make this day an auspicious one.
- On Akshaya Tritiya, the Goddess of the city of Kashi (Varanasi) Annapurna was born, who is a Hindu goddess of nourishment and food.
- It is believed that on this day, the River Ganga was descended from heaven on the Earth by Bhagirath who was a descendent of King Sagar.
- In Jainism, this day is also celebrated to commemorate their first God, Lord Adinatha.
- This day marks as the day when Lord Ganesha and Ved Vyasa started writing the epic Mahabharata. It is believed that Vyasa narrated the story and Ganesha wrote it down accurately.
- Akshaya Tritiya is also the birth anniversary of the sixth incarnation of Lord Vishnu i.e. Lord Parashurama, who is also known as Rama Jamadagnya, Rama Bhargava and Veerarama.
- On this day, Kubera, the God of wealth worshipped Goddess Lakshi and thus was assigned to be the treasurer of Gods.
- Lord Krishna gave monetary gains and wealth to his poor childhood friend Sudama who has come to his rescue for help on this day.
- On this day, Lord Krishna gave the Akshaya Patra to the Pandavas who were on their exile period. He gave them a bowl that would continue to produce unlimited food, so they are never hungry.
What Are Some Rituals Followed During Akshaya Tritiya
Here are some of the rituals that are followed by devotees on the auspicious occasion of Akshaya Tritiya. Have a look!
- On this day, the devotees of Lord Vishnu worship him and keeps a fast. After the fast, devotees distribute essential food items like vegetables, ghee, rice, salt, fruits and clothes to the poor people.
- Shopkeeper and businesspeople worship Goddess Lakshmi and Lord Ganesha before their new audit book at the beginning of the financial year. This ritual or you can say belief is known as ‘Halkhata’ and is done because it is believed to bring good luck to the business.
- It is considered as a lucky day to plan a wedding, long journeys and important decisions of life like starting new ventures, construction as people believe to have the blessing of God on the auspicious occasion.
- On this auspicious day, devotees follow the ritual of taking a holy bath in the River Ganga that is also believed to be descended from heaven on the Earth on this day.
- It is considered as the first day of ploughing for the harvest season in Eastern India.
- On this day, devotees perform spiritual activities, holy mantras, meditation to bring good fortune into their lives.
- On the pious day of Akshaya Tritiya, people buy gold jewellery or gold coin as it is a symbol of wealth and good fortune.
- Jains end their whole year long Tapasya on this day by drinking sugarcane juice.
So, these were all the ways of celebrating Akshaya Tritiya and the history and reasons for celebrating this day. Happy Akshaya Tritiya!