There are several options available pertaining to the best multivitamin for men in India. However, it is not a one size fits all approach that you should adopt. Remember that vitamin needs vary depending on the specific life stage that one is at. Men also need several specific vitamins and essential minerals on the basis of factors like overall health levels and age.
A person suffering from a condition like osteoporosis for instance, will naturally require higher calcium and Vitamin D3 tablets as compared to someone who is not suffering from the same. You should always consult your doctor or medical practitioner regarding the multivitamin supplements that you need at every stage of life and their recommended dosage.
Best multivitamin for men in India- How much do you actually need?
There could be several reasons as to why men may need multivitamin supplements. These include nutritional deficiencies, lowering risks related to chronic ailments/diseases and also for overall health improvements. Exceeding the daily recommended limit for consumption of vitamins should be strictly avoided. Here is a list that will help you gauge how much you actually require.
The measurements used for the given table are listed out in mg (milligrams), international units (IU) and microgram (mcg).
- Calcium- 200-210 mg
- Chromium- 35-120 mcg
- Magnesium- 75-200 mg
- Iron- None-8 mg
- Niacin- 16-25 mg
- Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2)- 1.7-3.4 mg
- Potassium- None-80 mg
- Thiamine (Vitamin B-1)- 1.2-4.5 mg
- Vitamin B-6- 2-6 mg
- Vitamin A- 1,050 mcg or 2,800-3,500 IU
- Vitamin C- 60-120 mg
- Vitamin B-12- 6-100 mcg
- Vitamin K- 20-60 mcg
- Vitamin D- 25 mcg or 600-1,000 IU
- Zinc- 11-24 mg
Best multivitamin for men in India who are still young
Younger adults still encountering puberty should emphasize on consumption of a balanced daily diet which has leafy green vegetables, fruits, beans and legumes, dairy or milk products, whole grains and lean meat including fish, poultry and healthy protein sources. Young adults with nutritional deficiencies may need to consume multivitamins and other mineral supplements. Approximately 1,000 mg will be needed each day in terms of calcium consumption for ensuring better bone and teeth health for young adults.
The body will also require Vitamin D for calcium absorption. Doctors may recommend Vitamin D consumption of at least 600 IU per day. Hence, calcium and Vitamin D3 tablets may be needed in consultation with your doctor. Young adults may also need 8 mg of iron each day as per reports. If there are any iron deficiencies resulting from poor nutrition, then a proper supplement may have to be consumed by men at this stage.
Best multivitamin for men in India who are older
Osteoporosis, while being a commoner ailment for women, is not uncommon in men above 50 years of age. Consumption of extra Vitamin D and calcium through calcium and Vitamin D3 tablets will be handy in this scenario. Post 70, men should strive to consume at least 1,200 mg of calcium each day along with 800 IU of Vitamin D. Vitamin B-12 gets tougher to absorb from daily diets with aging.
Men who are above 50 should consume 2.4 mcg of Vitamin B-12 each day. This can be garnered from the right supplements or multivitamins. Always consult your medical practitioner for advice on the right product, dosage and timings in this regard.
What male athletes require
Athletes burn a lot of calories, even more than the regular individual. They are required to consume ample minerals, vitamins and minerals for maintaining body weight. Vitamin D has a big function in ensuring better bone health and this is a vital supplement for athletes at times. They may help athletes benefit from swifter muscle damage recovery post exercising, enhanced heart functioning and better support for the immune system.
Other specific multivitamin requirements for men
- Brain health- Several studies have highlighted how Vitamin B-6 supplements may enhance overall brain performance. Consult your doctor before consuming the same through a supplement.
- Smokers- Men who smoke usually have lower Vitamin C levels available in their bodies as compared to those who do not smoke. Requisite supplementation may be needed in these cases since an additional 35 mg of Vitamin C is required for smokers. The lack of Vitamin C may lead to several issues including scurvy.
- 14-18 years of age- Those in this age bracket may require Vitamin C of at least 75 mg each day. This will necessitate suitable Vitamin C supplements based on the advice of the doctor.
- Above 19- Those above 19 years of age may require 90 mg of Vitamin C in daily consumption. Naturally supplementation may be needed in case of any deficiencies.
- Vegetarians/Vegans- Men adhering to a vegan or vegetarian diet may usually have deficiencies pertaining to Vitamin B-12 which is majorly contained in animal products. Any male over the age of 14 and adhering to a vegan or vegetarian diet should get a minimum of 2.4 mcg of Vitamin B-12 each day. One more option is to eat more food items which have this essential vitamin. These include nutritional yeast and fortified cereals among others. Several supplements may be immensely helpful in this regard and may scale up Vitamin B-12 intake sizably.
Always consult your doctor or medical practitioner before starting to consume calcium and Vitamin D3 tablets every day or similar vitamins on a regular basis. Most mineral and multivitamin supplements are readily available for men and consuming a healthy diet is sometimes the best method of obtaining ample nutrition. It can be tougher for people to obtain ample nutrition from just their daily dietary regimes including people who are adhering to vegan or vegetarian diets. Supplements containing the right multivitamins and minerals may be great options in these cases.
Whatever you do, always check whether the dosage fits the recommended amount for your particular age and stage of life. A little homework on your part will go a long way towards helping you maximize the benefits of multivitamins and other supplements while plugging nutritional gaps simultaneously!