One of many common windows 10 errors for Windows users. Learn here how to fix this.
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC Driver issues restrict you from hearing sound on your Windows computer. This error usually occurs when you have upgraded your system to Windows 10. With this error on your computer, you aren’t able to hear the system sound.
The faulty driver is the reason behind this error code and does not allow IDT High Definition Audio CODEC to function properly. The error exactly states:
“Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. IDT High Definition Audio CODEC.
A device attached to the system is not functioning.”
Wondering how to fix this up? This article will tell you the best ways to resolve the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC problem on your PC.
How To Fix: IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
Method 1: Reinstall or Update System Drivers
The very first resolution to your problem here is updating device drivers. There are two approaches using which you can upgrade your system drivers and fix IDT High Definition Audio CODEC error. The first is manual and the other is using a predefined driver updater software. Let’s check them out:
Manual Approach To Update and Reinstall Audio Drivers
- Head to the Start Menu and navigate to the Device Manager.
- Now head to Sound, video and game controllers.
- Click on the arrow beside to expand the menu.
- You’ll find IDT High Definition Audio CODEC, right click on it for more options.
- Then click on Update Driver.
- You’ll then see a dialog box asking you how would you like to upgrade? Select ‘Browse my computer for driver software’.
- Then, select ‘Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer’.
- Now, choose High Definition Audio Device, then click Next.
- There you’ll see a warning message, continue by clicking Yes.
This way, IDT High Definition Audio CODEC driver will be reinstalled on your device and you’ll no longer receive any such errors.
Automatic Approach To Update Audio Drivers
The driver update process can be minimised using an automatic and determined driver updater utility such as Smart Driver Care by Systweak. Here’s how to use this wonderful tool and get rid of all your corrupt drivers at once.
- Download and install Smart Driver Care from the link below.
- On the Overview tab, you’ll see the system status. Here you can see three major options i.e. scan drivers, scan programs, and Backup & Restore.
- Head to the Scan tab and click on Scan Now.
- Wait for the process to finish and then, you’ll see a list of drivers and programs that need to be updated.
- Click on either Update All or choose to update only the ones you require the most by clicking on Update Driver beside every driver you see in the list.
IMPORTANT: It is advised to first take Backup of your already installed drivers so that you can Restore them at the time of any mishappening. For this use Backup and Restore tabs located within your tool.
That’s how you can update all your system drivers at once.
Method 2: Install the IDT HD Audio CODEC Driver in Compatibility Mode
Since a few drivers of older Windows versions are compatible with Windows 10, you can, therefore, install IDT High Definition Audio CODEC driver in compatibility mode. This way you can probably get rid of the error you’re getting on your system.
- Head to the Manufacturer’s website and download the required driver version. Ensure that you keep in mind the Operating System and Processor Type.
- Once downloaded, head to the Downloads folder on your computer. Find the setup file.
- Now, right-click on the set up file and click Properties.
- Navigate yourself to the Compatibility tab and then choose ‘Run this program in compatibility mode’.
- Choose the older Windows version from the drop-down. Click OK and close the dialog box .
- Now double-click the setup file to begin installation.
- Follow the on-screen instructions, restart your computer once the process is finished.
Method 3: Enable IDT Audio Related Services
In this method you’ll have to change the startup of three services as we will be enabling some IDT Audio related services here. Here are the steps to follow:
- Press Win + R key to open the Run dialog box.
- Type in msc and click OK.
- On the next screen, locate Windows Audio, right-click on it for the context menu and choose Properties.
- Under the General tab select Startup type as Automatic or Automatic (Delayed Start).
- Click on Start and then
Now, follow the same instructions for Multimedia Class Scheduler and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder services. Once done, Restart your computer to fix the error: IDT High Definition Audio CODEC.
So, that’s all about getting audio drivers working back again on your system. We hope this article helps you out in fixing the ‘IDT High Definition Audio CODEC Driver’ problem on Windows. The IDT HD Audio CODEC issue is one of the common reasons why people experience sound issues on their computers. The methods we shared in this article, both manual and automatic are efficient enough and reliable for you to try. Using Smart Driver Care is beneficial as it saves a lot of your time and effort and helps you avoid risks.
Which solution among all listed above you found the best bet? Were you able to resolve the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC issue? Do you find Smart Driver Care efficient enough to resolve driver related issues?
Do let us know your take in the comments section below. Also, drop us a note for any queries or concerns. We’d love to hear from you!