Wonder why many natural hair products use olive oil as an ingredient? This oil is light or yellow in color. Olives are pressed to extract olive oil. Olives and different types of olive oils are imported from Italy, Spain, Greece and other places from the Mediterranean region.
This oil is known for its antioxidant and fatty-acid content. Olive oil has made its place in many cultures with its unique chemical composition. It is used in many natural hair products such as shampoo soap bar and hair oils.
The following are the different ways this oil is beneficial for your hair:
- It soothes your scalp
- It strengthens your hair follicle
- It stimulates hair growth.
Businesses selling natural hair products and even users claim that olive oil makes your hair longer and stronger.
What Does Research Say?
In a 2015 research, olive oil ingredients were applied to stimulate hair growth. The study showed positive effects of using olive oil for hair growth.
Olives are obtained from Olea europaea tree. Olive oil contains a fat called oleic acid. This acid is known for reducing hair fall and promoting hair growth. Natural shampoos using olive oil have antibacterial properties. These properties promote a healthy scalp.
Shampoos that contain olive oil and other natural ingredients also help in preventing and reducing split ends. The nutritional and protective qualities of these products promote hair growth and provide you with healthy and shiny looks. Your hair also grows faster.
Olive Oil Hair Treatment
Shampoos, conditioners and many other hair products use olive oil as an active ingredient. DIY mask is a good idea for using olive oil to treat your hair.
Take the following steps to use this oil for healthy hair:
- You need around ¼ of a cup of this oil. Your hair follicles and scalp will not absorb the entire ¼ of a cup of the oil. Don’t apply too much olive oil. It will not be absorbed by your scalp and will be difficult to remove.
- Pour some olive oil on your palms and rub them to heat the oil.
- Now gently and slowly massage your scalp. Focus on the crown. Pay more attention to the roots. If you have split ends, apply this oil to the ends of your hair.
- Use a shower cap to top your hair. Wait for your scalp to soak the treatment. It will take around 15 minutes.
- After 15 to 20 minutes, apply shampoo to remove oil from your hair. Use lukewarm to wash your hair. Hot water is not safe for your hair. Repeat if required.
Don’t use olive oil treatment every day. Once a week is enough. You will get stronger and longer hair. In addition to olive oil, natural hair products use several other natural oils and ingredients.
These ingredients include:
- Sodium Olivate
- Potassium Olivate
- Lavender (lavandula Angustifolia) Oil
- Potassium Cocoate
- Geranium Maculatum Oil
- Rosemary Oil
- Potassium Castorate
- Calendula Extract
All these ingredients are also known for their health benefits. Natural hair products don’t contain any of the chemicals that can be harmful to your scalp or hair.