Mechanical Engineering is one of the oldest and the most expansive and lucrative engineering fields. A mechanical engineering student gains a wide range of skill sets necessary to apply various engineering principles for analysing, designing, manufacturing and maintaining mechanical products. Considered to be one of the most challenging degree programs mechanical engineering requires subject knowledge of computer application, physics, mathematics, material science, and much more.
The large industrial base in and around the city of Pune and its international quality educational facilities have encouraged the establishment of numerous public, government aided and private higher education institutes in its periphery. Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) and Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) are the most popular programs in the fields of mechanical engineering. Students that have completed (or appearing) their 10+2 exams with Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry/ Biotechnology or Biology as a subject are eligible to apply for the bachelor’s program. Most of the colleges and universities offer admission through counselling based on the student’s rank obtained in entrance tests conducted at all-India level, state level and college level.
When it comes to choosing the right college that will set you up for a competitive career in the field of mechanical engineering a student must make note following points:
- What kind of accreditation does the college have: An educational institution or program lets you know about the standard of the academic offerings of that institution or program. It lets you know about the quality of education offered by the institution and boost your job opportunities. A reputed company shall always hire professionals that have accredited degrees.
- What does the curriculum include: The curriculum of an institute not only includes the theoretical subjects but also comprise of a wide range of practical’s and other activities. Institutes that emphasise on an overall growth of the student’s skills and employability are better suited for a smooth transition into the industry.
- Does the institute offer Internships and industrial partnerships: For a working knowledge of the industry it is necessary to be a part of it in some way. Internships are one of the most popular way of earning that experience for a student. Colleges and institutes offer internships, industrial visits and such programs for providing their students with a first-hand knowledge of the inner workings of the trade.
- The location, size and experience of the institution: As a student you will have to live a large part of your academic year in the college. Know about the college infrastructure, the student to instructor ratio and the past performance of the institution. Past placement records are a great way to understand the employability and worth of the program offered by the institution.
The best way to get knowledge of the above factors is to read more about the colleges and institutions you are interested in. Almost every college has a website which offers details about them, their history, vision, courses, curriculum, admission procedure, and more. You can visit website and gather information about the institution and its academic calendar.
Popular college ranking websites offer reviews from past and present students of the institution. To get a better understanding of the college infrastructure you can visit the college campus. The visit here will help you learn if a college is right for you.
Here is a list of best mechanical engineering colleges in Pune:
- D. Y. Patil Institute of Engineering, Management and Research, Akurdi
- MIT World Peace University, Kothrud
- Indira College of Engineering and Management, Parandwadi
- Dhole Patil College of Engineering- DPCOE, Wagholi
- Zeal College of Engineering and Research, Narhe