San Francisco is one of the most overly populated cities because it is one of the best cities to live and study in. if you are considering studying in San Francisco then you already know that they have magnificent weather, no rain and a fun bar scene. There are many options to go on adventures in nature and they have great tertiary institutions. This city in California has so much to offer but it is important to know the pros and cons of studying in San Francisco.
Pros of studying in SF
- SF is home to some of the best universities – San Francisco and the entire Bay area is known for having some of the best universities like Stanford University, UC Berkeley, University of San Francisco and many more. SF is in the heart of Silicon Valley, so these universities always offer opportunities to grow and be leaders in science and technology. Apart from science, these universities offer amazing courses in arts and music. Each university is unique and prospective students must look at each of the schools before deciding on one.
- SF is culturally diverse – the city has so many different people from all over the world. It is the melting pot of cultures and if you are planning on studying in SF, you are in good company. You do not have to worry about not fitting in or finding your tribe. There are many amazing people to meet and everyone is welcomed with opened arms.
- Easy to manoeuvre – the city has great weather, and this helps when getting around. You can easily walk around and explore all that the city has to offer. SF is known as one of the best cities to walk in the United States. If you don’t want to walk however, you can take the subway, bus, train or tram. There is no need to worry in SF as it is also one of the best places to transit.
- Affordable rooms – one of the most amazing things about studying in SF is the accommodation which you can get cheap. You can opt for a co-living experience which will enable you to save lots while studying in the city. It is a better alternative to on-campus living.
- Great food – if you plan on living here then you will be pleased to know that they have great food, and this is probably one of the best parts about living in SF. Food here is very diverse and you can choose anything from burritos to poke bowls to sourdough bread. There are also many great restaurants to try compared with most of the other cities in the country.
- Awesome nightlife – most students want to know about the nightlife here and it does not disappoint. There are many bars and clubs o explore, you will not be bored. One of the most popular bars for students is the Last Call Bar which offers cheap drinks and a fun atmosphere. One of the best clubs is called Temple with many great DJs and a great dance floor.
Cons of studying in SF
- It can be expensive – If you want to rent, you will find that it is quite expensive. Finding cheap rental homes can be challenging. Eating out and things like taxes are also a bit expensive compared with other cities. It is best to save as much as you can if you are considering studying in SF.
- Safety – there is an increase in petty crimes so be sure to keep personal belongings safe, especially if you are sightseeing or trying to get around the city. Try to carry only what is necessary when travelling.
- Pollution and fog – SF can get cold at times so be sure to layer up well and carry warm winter wear.In hotter months the heat creates a thick fog that covers the waterfront for months.
Hen considering any city, weighing the pros and cons are important but if the pros outweigh the cons then you can be sure that it is a great place to move to. For students, it is an exciting journey of discovering exactly where you fit in the world. Exploring places other than where you live is a great way to broaden your horizons and open up possibilities for you. SF is a great place to start especially if you have done your research and have gained entrance into one of their brilliant universities.