We have been experiencing climatic changes for a while now. Due to the increase in air pollution levels and deteriorating climatic conditions, many people across the globe face respiratory issues. In many cases, people have been facing fatal asthma attacks.
Asthma is a health condition wherein a person’s respiratory tract is inflamed or swollen, making it challenging for them to breathe. The respiratory tract becomes vulnerable to any minor irritant and increases the risk of allergic reactions in the individual. Further, as stated earlier, it restricts the airflow to the lungs and leads the person coughing and gasping for air.
The asthma treatment cost in India is quite expensive. Hence, it is wise to have a health insurance plan that covers the expenses for you. In this section, we have discussed the reasons why asthma patients should buy a health insurance plan.
Reasons to buy a health insurance plan for asthma patient
The necessity to health insurance for asthma patients is explained below –
- Expensive treatment
Asthma patients need to visit the doctor on a regular basis, have several medicine prescriptions, and inhalers to add the expensive treatment. Imagine covering the cost of these things from your pocket. Sounds expensive, right? Hence, it is wise to invest in a health insurance plan that covers asthma treatment and other out-of-pocket expenses.
- Lifestyle changes and climatic condition
As mentioned earlier, increasing air pollutant levels have drastically changed the way we lead our lives. Moreover, work-life imbalance has hampered our health. These are a few factors that have led to the rise in asthmatic conditions in people across the country.
- Medical and hospitalisation expenses
The asthma attacks can be extreme, which may also lead to hospitalisation. A comprehensive health insurance plan ensures that the pre- and post-hospitalisation expenses are covered. So, the insured had his/her dependents do not have to worry about sudden financial emergencies that may arise due to these attacks.
- Diagnostic test expenses
The person who has asthma has to undergo multiple diagnostic tests and imaging studies that measure the functioning of their lungs. It helps medical experts determine the severity of asthma in an individual. Buying a health insurance plan for asthma will allow the patient to focus on their recovery instead of worrying about hospital bills.
Things to Consider
If you are planning to buy health insurance for asthma patient, here are a few things that you need to keep in mind –
- Check with the insurer whether the health plan that you are purchasing covers asthma treatment.
- Ensure that the health insurance plan covers doctor’s fee, medicines, and hospital expenses.
- Typically, most asthma health insurance plans are renewed on an annual basis.
- Go through the exclusions of the health plan thoroughly. That way, you are aware of what expenses you can and cannot claim under your plan.
- Check the insurer’s claim settlement ratio before buying health insurance with them. The ratio helps you determine the reliability of the insurer to compensate for your future claims.
- The health insurance premiums are directly proportional to your age. So, if you are unsure of how much the policy will cost you, use the health insurance calculator to determine the same.
Based on the information provided above, we are sure that you will be able to choose an ideal health insurance plan for asthma patients. If you are unable to afford the desired health coverage at the moment, you can opt to pay health insurance on EMI. After all, having extensive health coverage will protect you and your family against unforeseen medical expenses.