As per the drug discovery services market report, this sector is very well expected to reach US$19.1 billion by the year 2025. Currently, it is at US$10.7 billion with a compounded annual growth rate of 12.1% in the coming approximately five years. The emerging natured economies like Brazil and China are also expected to provide a great range of opportunities for all the players in this particular industry. The patent expiry is another point that is expected to prove as a great growth factor in this market.
Some classifications of this market are mentioned as follows:
- On the basis of process:This whole market has been classified into five further bifurcations based on the process. These are a selection of targets, validation of targets, hit to lend identification, optimization of the leads and the validation of all the candidates.
- On the basis of type: These can be bifurcated into chemistry medical based services, services of the biology, drug-based metabolism and the pharmacokinetics, biologic natured drugs, and the small molecule-based drugs.
- On the basis of the therapeutic area: These can be further classified into neurology, diseases related with the digestive system, diseases related with cardiovascular, infectious and the immune system related diseases, oncology and other areas.
- On the basis of the type of company:Based on this type, they are further classified into tier-one pharmaceutical companies, tier two pharmaceutical companies and tier three pharmaceutical companies.
- On the basis of the region: They are classified into North America which is further classified into US and Canada, Europe which is further classified into UK, Italy, Germany and rest of Europe, the Asia Pacific which is further categorized into China, India and rest of Asia Pacific and the next category is the Rest of World.
In the year 2019, the medicinal natured chemistry services-based segment completely dominated this particular market. It is also expected that this particular segment will also be dominating in the years to come. The whole credit of this growth can be given to the widespread based application of this into various phases of the whole drug-based discovery.
In the year 2019, the oncology based therapeutic areas also accounted for the highest market share in all the terms of several patients because the cancer was on the complete rise. Factors like demand for kinds of cancer therapies and funding provided by the research and development department of the pharmaceutical companies completely fuelled this growth.
The Asia-Pacific is also expected to grow at a great pace in the years to come. The main factors are the rapid growth in the pharmaceutical sector because of funds by companies, a growing number of CROs, smooth protocols in terms of exports, less strict rules, and regulations for the discovery of drugs and many more. But the North America, as well as Europe in markets, will also account for the maximum share because these economies are highly mature and very well include the presence of huge and significant players of the region.
The major players of the whole industry are offering partnerships with the existing players so that they can invest in R&D in a better way. The drug discovery outsourcing market report stated that tier-one pharmaceutical based companies had the maximum share in 2019. The same is expected in the years to come because of the long-term vision of these kinds of companies and the efforts which they are putting in the form of research as well as development.