What Does Drinking Water Contain?Drinking water is a source of many compounds that are harmful to humans. It contains hazardous substances such as lead, mercury which if ingested might cause cancerous effects on humans while chloride ions may result in stomach acidity and heartburns for those who suffer from high blood pressure issues when excessively consumed. With all the bacteria and bugs in unfiltered tap water coming from your plumbing, there’s no telling what could happen to your body when you drink it. Tap water is not clean, as it can pick up bacteria and bugs on its way to your fridge.
The Wonders of Refrigerator Water FiltersRefrigerator water filters do a thorough job to ensure that only clean and healthy drinking water is served. A fridge filter ensures that your tap water meets municipal standards for safe drinking water which makes them an important appliance in any household. The fridge filter does not require much maintenance, but the fridge water filters do need to be replaced at least every 6 months. Learn all the signs below. The job of a fridge water filter is to remove harmful contaminants such as:
- Asbestos. Asbestos in water is a major concern because of the health effects it poses. Asbestos fibers are microscopic and invisible to humans, but they can cause serious problems when inhaled or ingested. As for ingestion, asbestos shows up with gastrointestinal symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea.
- Chlorine. Chlorine is a common ingredient in drinking water. It can be helpful for decreasing the risk of infectious disease, but too much chlorine exposure has been linked to many health problems such as asthma and bladder cancer from long-term consumption or inhalation.
- Lead. Lead in drinking water has been a health problem for many years. It can be especially harmful to children’s development, causing learning difficulties and behavioral problems such as hyperactivity or attention deficit disorder (ADHD).
- Fluoride. Fluoride is used in drinking water to help prevent tooth decay. However, there are many people who think that fluoride can cause a lot of physical problems like cancer and arthritis among others.
- Mercury. Mercury is a very toxic element found in drinking water. This can cause harm to the brain and nervous system of individuals who consume this type of substance for an extended period of time. Mercury has been linked with serious illnesses such as cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular disease & Alzheimer’s Disease (CDC).
When to Replace Your Fridge FiltersIt’s important to replace your fridge water filter regularly. Not only could this mean that you have difficulty filtering your water, but it can also cause a few other problems. Be observant of these signs:
- Changes in taste and odor can be signs that your tap water filter is no longer working as well as it should.
- A cloudy appearance of ice often means your filter is dirty or it may mean that the water in your refrigerator is not being filtered.
- A change in color or appearance of floaters is a possible indication that you need to clean or change your water filter.
- A slow water flow is also an indication