In the present age of technology probably smartphone is the most used and useful device for a common man. It is also much beneficial for commercial world as there are companies which get huge business through their apps. Though getting an app is not a tough task for the company as well as a user but to keep it safe and secure is definitely challenging job. Experts offer various actions and measures that can help the makers to have desire level of safety.
Mobiles are used today by each and every person and in business. With advancement in technology at a high pace, the apps have also increased and so is its demand. As mobiles can today function similar to laptops and desktops, the demand of mobile has increased. The additional feature is than it can be easily carried anywhere. There are many apps that can gather useful information like location, usage statistics, phone number, likes, dislikes and many other information. If this data gets into wrong hands, it can be harmful to the user. The app used in mobiles need to be secured. Mobile app security becomes important for securing the user’s personal information from hackers and other malwares.
Mobile App Security: The measures taken to secure applications from any external risk or threat like digital frauds and malware. It focuses on software security posture of mobile apps on various available platforms like Android IOS and Windows Phone. The applications covered in mobile app security are both for mobile phones and tablets. Mobile app security is a critical part of presence of businesses online and various other forms of business that rely totally on mobile apps to connect users from around the world.
Impact of weak Mobile app Security:
There are trusted organizations tests the security measures of application and the clients are often dependent on them. The hackers are always on the verge to attack and exploit the security loopholes if any in the applications. The hackers try to attack by using unsecured codes to attack all or any of the following:
- Personal Information of the User: Any hacker can get access to the website or device like email, social networking, banking etc. This can be done by the hackers via entering into the device of user and downloading compromised apps. Some of these are even hosted on official app stores of Android devices. The personal data can be hacked and misused by hackers or the spywares, therefore mobile app security is very important.
- Financial Information: In cases where only one-time password is required in mobile banking transactions, the chances of access to credit and debit card numbers by the hacker increases. The hackers in some cases can have control over the SMS feature of the device and can manipulate the banking functions of the user.
- IP Theft: The hackers can create clones illegally by getting the code base of the app or can steal the intellectual property of the company that owns the app. In this way the hackers can create a problem for the owners of the app and clone their apps.
- Revenue Loss: The apps that lead revenue to the owner like utility and gaming apps have the possibility to be accessed. The hackers attack the premium features and access the security holes and cause losses to the owner of the app. The loss of revenue is a big problem for the owners of the app having good turnover from these apps.
- Brand Confidence: The loss to the company can occur both in the form such as misuses of user information and also lawsuits from affected parties. The companies can conduct positive drills to save the apps from hackers and malware. These drills create loyalty and trust in the brand for the app. The confidence of the client is its brand; the companies should realize this fact.
Loopholes in Mobile Security App: The focus of mobile app is to focus on a smooth interface and give the users the best functionality. The mobile apps are not designed to act as anti-viruses or in other way transmit secured data over the internet. The devices can install anti-viruses and in turn secure the network and save the device from attack. It also provides protection against poorly designed app and against weak passwords. For the reference of the developers common security lapses are documented by industry experts under aegis of The Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP). The features and limitations of the app are projected under the OWASP. It also lists top 10 comprehensively builds on the basis of pooled knowledge about the industry experts. It is considered on the basis of experts about the present and developing attack vectors on mobile devices. The risk mobile faces and business need to secure app from are:
- Improper Platform Usage
- Insecure Data Storage
- Insecure communication
- Insecure authentication
- Insufficient Cryptography
- Insecure authorization
- Poor Code quality
- Code Tampering
- Reverse Engineering
- Extraneous Functionality
Common Risk associated with Application:
Lack of Encryption: Encryption is a method through which the data is transported in ciphered code that cannot be viewed without matching the same with a secret key. A high level of data encryption is used to ensure that the app cannot be easily cracked.
Binary Planting: It means that a binary file that contains malicious code on a local file system is enforced in the mobile device. Then executes it to get control over the device of the user, in the form of SMS the malicious codes can be sent and it forces user to clink to those links and get trapped. Once the code is revealed to the hacker, they can manipulate and exploit them for further malicious actions.